Thursday, June 16, 2011

New Zealand. nuff said.


DAY 4 QUEENSTOWN, WANAKA
Our day started ironically extremely early, due to the 3 or so bars located right outside our window, I woke up at like 3 or 4 only to hear some pretty legit techno beats! Hahaha it was actually pretty funny looking back at it, I fell right back asleep, so as the kiwis say, “no worries mate”.  I ended up waking up around 7. I really liked the hotel we were in, it was called Nomads and it’s designed for young travelers on the go who just need a place to say the night. It’s very much oriented towards young intrepid travelers, there was lots of crude humor present throughout the entire hostel, which I very much enjoyed! After showering we packed up our stuff into the bus and headed out to breakfast where I had my first meat pie! It was absolutely delicious! Following this we did the most fun thing we’ve done on the trip so far, for me at least! We got to split up into groups of 3 or 4 and headed around Queenstown by ourselves discovering all of it’s finer aspects that you just can’t see when you’re in a big group, I love discovering new cultures and exploring new things, so basically I loved today.  My mini group was myself, Miles, Brianna, and Carson and we had a pretty fun time exploring the not so touristy side of Queenstown, which is always good! After exploring for a few hours we rendezvoused down by the lake, which by the way is one of the most spectacular places my eyes have ever laid upon. Then we got to ride the Gondola up to the top of the mountain to check out the scenery which I’m truly again, at a loss for words. It’s unbelievable. One thing that you should know is that mountain is unbelievably steep, like seriously it’s probably a 45 degree slope or steeper the whole way up. So like when we’re almost at the top I spotted a bungie jumping platform thing, and oh my god, you’d need some serious guts and other things to jump off that thing, it was knarley (shut it Sara hahaha). So after scoping out the views off the top of the mountain we headed inside to grab some lunch, where of course, I had Fish & Chips! Absolutely delicious. Why isn’t this a mainstay on every menu in America? I’m liking New Zealand much more than the US! We finished up our lunch and headed down to Queenstown to do some last minute shopping at Mary’s Sheep, which had the coolest hats EVER. I bought 2 for myself, and let me tell you, these definitely fit my neon cravings, they’re leegggittttt. I got some other things too, like boxers hahaha. All in all twas a successful day shopping, I just need a legit skater hoodie and my life will be complete! After shopping we headed out to Wanaka, which led us on a seemingly endless vertical, zig-zagging stretch of highway where it also seemed like 30 cars passed us ha! After a jam sess on my ipod with Brizzey we arrived at our camping location thing. It’s right by a Rugby club which provided us with lots of entertainment tonight! Firstly I HAD to get the shot of the Rugby field with the silhouette of the mountains behind them. It ended up being pretty sweet! Following that we headed out to dinner and had Indian Food. Okay so I ordered Beef asalamasdlfkasfisvonaskvnsivv or something along those lines and it was okay, except for the fact that it literally looked like semi-digested green vomit. The green ended up being spinach(YUM, not). But I survived. I’ve also concluded that I want to be in a Bolleywood dance video thing, those are legit, I watched 2 hours of them tonight hahaha. Following this we headed back to our camping deal and went through the usual.

PS. Sorry that I haven’t been able to reply to Facebook messages and or emails, my internet availability has been uh patchy to say the least, and blogging is my #1 priority because that can reach the most peopleee. I will as soon as I can!

DAY 5 WANAKA SUNRISE, PUZZELING WORLD, HIKE TO SUMMIT OF IRON MOUNTAIN
So today was pretty freaking amazing! We woke up pretty early to watch the sunrise over the lake (which I really can’t remember the name of) in Wanaka! I spent a large part of that adventure trying to keep my hands alive! I let Sarah use my opossum fur gloves, yes opossum fur. They make me look homeless though because they’re those gloves that only go midway down your fingers, so I’ve gotten a lot of hey are you homeless comments today haha. I also spiked my hair today, which made me look like a total Jersey Shore Guido, but because we’re in New Zealand it was renamed to Kiwi Shore. I have several funny shots to attest that! Following the sunrise we headed over to Puzzling World, which ended up being the coolest, yet most frustrating few hours of my entire life. They had this wicked maze thing that literally took my 2 hours to finish. Google Puzzling World and you’ll see why it’s so freaking hard! That was actually pretty fun, but I don’t think I want to do another puzzle or mind stimulating activity for a long, long time. After this we grabbed some snacks before heading up to the summit of Iron Mountain as it’s called here. It wasn’t a hard hike so to speak, but it was after 2 hours of a seemingly endless maze. One more cool thing about Puzzling World was that it had this room with the heads of famous people that looked like they were following you around the whole time. And there was another room that had a 15° slope to it, and seriously that was like the most nauseating experience of my entire life, I have literally never been SOOO confused. They had this chair thing that seemingly went upwards, it was CRAZY. But yeah going back to the hike.. So we went up this hill thing for seemingly forever we reached the summit and there were some absolutely amazing views. Again, I can’t describe it. After this we headed downhill and proceeded back to our hotel thing for the rest of the night to relax.

Today’s Revelations:
1.     Blogging Sucks, really its not all that fun.
2.     Picking out your top 10 pictures of the day also isn’t fun.

Day 6 Bus Ride from Wanaka to Franz Josef
So today wasn’t the most eventful day, we woke up at 8 and ate breakfast before heading out to travel. It was bitterly cold this morning… Carl went out to wash the windows of the bus early with hot water, and it froze hahaha. It was pretty knarley (hey sara). So yeah we headed out and made a couple stops along the way to check out the scenery. We stopped at a cliff kinda thing with a rock outcropping that was absolutely stunning, and then at Bruce’s Bay. Which was pretty cool too! We found a dead shark on the beach which I was ultimately very fascinated by. We headed through some awesome scenery before arriving at Franz Josef. I’m sorry I don’t have more descriptive details but today wasn’t super eventful, but fun none the less!

Today’s Revelations:
1.     Sandflies SUCK. They swarm you and literally stick onto everything. Miles and I tried to obliterate some in the back of the bus today, so it literally looks like a war zone back there, at least for Sandflies.
2.     New Zealand is the most epic country ever. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin! Awesome reading for all of us. Some many people are following your great postings! Keep it up and have a blast. Take tons of photos!

    ReplyDelete